Spotlight on Organizing Interns!
This summer, we have seven organizing interns volunteering with us. As part of the organizing team, they engage volunteers, raise funds and strengthen OutFront’s presence across the state. Last week, the interns (and our staff organizers) honed their leadership skills at the 2013 National Weeklong Training at St. Olaf College in Northfield.
• Jared Berg, a 21-year-old from Bismarck, is majoring in Psychology at the College of St. Benedict/St. John. Jared is a strong advocate of LGBT rights through the LGBT student organization PRiSM. He is also an advisor for the Institute of Women’s Leadership and a fellow of the Marie and Robert Jackson Fellowship.
• Matt Clapp, a 21-year-old from St. Paul, is studying a customized major — the learned performance of American gender through the limitation of the self — at the University of Redlands in California. There, he is an educator and advocate for trans issues. Matt founded a trans support group at the university counseling center and was also selected to serve on a committee devoted to implementing gender-neutral bathrooms on campus.
• Charlie Edgar, a 22-year-old from Muncie, Indiana, recently graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work at Ball State University. Charlie served on the executive board of various university student organizations, including the campus LGBT club. During his time at OutFront, Charlie has been actively involved in the Trans* Justice Project.
• Nimisha Nagalia, a 20-year-old from Eden Prairie, is studying Psychology at Occidental College. She is an officer of the campus QSA and worked with Vote for Equality, a nonprofit aimed at building LGBT political power and fighting anti-LGBT prejudice. In addition to this work, Nimisha also has volunteered at Take Action Minnesota.
• Libby Borchert, a 22-year old from Anoka, is majoring in Sociology with a minor in Gender Studies at Metropolitan State University. Libby describes her work at OutFront as an “inspiring adventure” and states that she is “humbled to intern for such an amazing equality organization.”
We greatly appreciate the dedication, experience and energy all the organizing interns bring to OutFront.