Leading Minnesota Toward LGBT Equality Join Now

Site Map | Links | About Us | Contact Us

Trans Toolkit

Our Work
Trans Legal Issues
   Know Your Rights
   Name Change
   Birth Certificates
   Driver's License
   Social Security Record
   Restroom Access
   Relationship Recognition
   Law Enforcement
Trans Healthcare
Youth & Parents
Other Resources
Allies & Professionals


Amending Gender on Your Immigration Documents

The government agency responsible for making changes to immigration documents is the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The agency issues many different types of immigration documents and the process for changing your documents depends on which type they are, but the requirements for updating your name and gender are generally the same. Changing the name information on your immigration documents generally requires a court order or evidence that the name change was completed according to the relevant foreign law. For changing gender information, you need to provide either an amended birth certificate, an amended passport, a court order amending your gender, or a combination of an ACT letter from your doctor and a state- or government-issued ID that accurately reflects your current gender and appearance.

For more information about the USCIS policy for transgender individuals, click here.