Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services has two options for changing the sex information listed on one’s driver’s license or similar card.  

Option 1

An individual can provide one of the following documents to change their gender and the DL/ IP/ID application transaction can be completed without requiring a variance request.

  1. Court order that changes their gender
  2. Court order that changes their gender and name
  3. Medical certification of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed physician (the document must have enough biographical data (e.g., name and date of birth) to clearly identify the person.

Option 2

People interested in changing the sex listed on their driver's license but who cannot satisfy any of the criteria above must request a "variance." To request a variance, a person must complete a form and send it along with any supporting documents and a check for $10 to the state for processing. Note: this process does not begin at your local driver's license office!  Forms are sent to the central office in St. Paul for processing (see form for mailing address).

Often, people complete Part B of the request form by indicating the desired change, and Part C by simply referring to the enclosed court order or health-care provider's statement.


This information is intended to be general and educational, and not intended to be legal advice.

For more information, please contact the OutFront Minnesota Legal Program at legal@outfront.org or at (612) 822-0127, ext. 7662.