OutFront Contract Lobbyist Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Proposals due December 15, 2022
- Proposal selection by December 20, 2022
Mission and Vision:
OutFront Minnesota’s mission is to create a state where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are free to be who they are, love who they love, and live without fear of violence, harassment or discrimination.
We envision a state where LGBTQ individuals have equal opportunities, protection and rights. We are working toward the day when all Minnesotans have the freedom, power and confidence to make the best choices for their own lives.
In close partnership with the Executive Director and Policy & Organizing team, a contract lobbyist will support OutFront’s work advancing legislative policies to support LGBTQ+ equity in Minnesota. This lobbying work will be focused exclusively on the Minnesota State Capitol - primarily working with the house and senate at a time when we anticipate opportunities to pass key legislation to address the LGBTQ+ community’s needs.
Specifically this will entail:
- Working through the 2023 legislative session and special session follow-ups as needed - primary work is anticipated to be between January and May of 2023.
- Working with bill authors to ensure that 5 or more bills on OutFront Minnesota’s legislative agenda are introduced in a timely manner
- Focusing on passage of 3 to 5 top priority bills, that may include a ban on conversion therapy, over-the-counter access to PEP and PrEP, repeal of Minnesota’s anti-sodomy law, trans refuge legislation, and work on school and family legislative proposals.
- Consulting with OutFront staff and bill authors about which other proposals should be prioritized because they are most likely to pass this year
- Ensuring that the priority bills receive committee hearings so that they meet all necessary committee deadlines.
- In coordination with bill authors, enlisting support of committee members to assure passage of bills through committees.
- Scheduling introductory meetings for OutFront staff with at least 12 key legislators, targeted in consultation with OutFront staff, focusing on key committee chairs and members of committees.
- Coordinating with OutFront staff and bill authors about how many testifiers there should be for each bill and ensure that testifiers are signed up to testify.
- Checking in with OutFront staff via Zoom on at least a weekly basis to provide updates and coordinate activities.
- Advising OutFront staff about timing for action alerts and opportunities for community input and involvement; reviewing draft communications to ensure that updates are accurate and appropriate
- Working with bill authors to enlist support from the caucus prior to a floor vote and address the amendment process.
- Monitoring conference committee activity and lobbying to ensure that priority proposals are included in final bills.
- Flagging and tracking of other bills that may impact Minnesota’s LGBTQ+ community.
- Compliance with all lobbying and reporting requirements.
- Registered lobbyist in the state of MN, or the ability to become a registered lobbyist prior to the start of the 2023 session.
- Demonstrated understanding of Minnesota’s political landscape and the legislative process.
- A strong understanding of Minnesota’s LGBTQ+ community and ability to authentically and effectively communicate about our needs.
- A history of building relationships with key stakeholders and legislative partners to prioritize and advance legislation.
For the proposal, please supply no more than three pages describing your alignment with our work, approach to the legislative process, and key credentials, qualifications, and past accomplishments that demonstrate your capacity to manage this work. In addition please include a prospective budget.
To submit a completed proposal or ask any questions, reach out to Executive Director Kat Rohn (firstname.lastname@example.org)